|16" x 16" Edition of 50||$400.00||$0.00|
New York native Charles Hinman has been a fixture of the Bowery art scene since 1965, working from his Manhattan-based studio on the edge of SoHo and the Lower East Side for the past 42 years. The Abstract Expressionist set himself apart from his peers after he became interested in constructing his own shaped canvases, on which he would paint simple geometric images. "I was just captivated by the general idea of the real space of sculpture and the illusory space of painting," he elaborates in a recent interview. "It's how these two things interreact, I can't let it go. It's fundamental." You could say Ghostly is equally as drawn to Hinman's ideas—if not more so—which made commissioning an exclusive print by the artist a truly exciting endeavor.
"As with most Ghostly collabs, we met Hinman through a friend," founder Sam Valenti IV explains. "We got to talking, gave him a Ghostly cap (he played baseball back in the day), and it was done. He has made limited works before, but we wanted to share it with a new audience, ours." This new piece, called lavender triangle , is unique for a number of reasons. An edition of 50 with signed certificates of authenticity printer/publisher Gary Lichtenstein, the piece is available only as a print, a form Hinman doesn't often work with, and foregoes his method of making a "three-dimensional statement" through embossment. Instead, the artist attempts what he calls a "strong illusion of the third dimension" on lavender triangle , using a three-color silkscreen and 320 gram Coventry paper to achieve his goal. But the ethos is not different from Hinman's other work. "Every painting has a light in it, and there's a space," says the 84-year-old New Yorker. "It advances or recedes, it has a depth of field. Colors make their own space."
- 16" x 16" prints are printed with a minimum 1" border
- Hand-printed silkscreen ultra smooth, 308 gsm cotton rag
- Prints are signed and numbered
Optional Framed Details (for US customers only):
- 16" x 16" prints have a total framed size of 21" x 21"
- Matte black or white lacquered wood, mitered, glued, w/ V-nailed corners
- Acid-free 100% cotton rag bright white mat board
- Standard ultra-clear ⅛” acrylic
- Sealed on reverse with 50 lb acid free kraft paper
- Standard mounting hardware with hanging brackets and wire included